Have you ever had a craving for some pasta with tomato sauce but had no sauce? Well here is a really easy and quick recipe for a delicious tomato sauce that you can serve with your favorite pasta. A very close friend of mine taught me how to make this sauce and in typical italian fashion it is a little bit of this and a little bit of that! Every time I make this sauce I keep telling myself that I should actually measure out the ingredients but I think it will take out all the fun.
What you’ll need:
- 28oz can of Pastene San Marzano tomatoes
- 1 small onion
- Fresh basil
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Grated romano cheese, but you can use parmesan (I usually use romano)
- Black pepper
- Salt (I like using garlic salt)
How to make the sauce:
- Pour out the can of tomatoes into a mixing bowl and crush them with your hands. Have fun squishing the tomatoes.
- Take your onion and chop it into thin slices.
- In a large frying pan add some olive oil to cover the bottom of the pan and then add the onions. Saute the onions till they are tender.
- Add the tomatoes to the pan and a few basil leaves. (I usually just add one or two)
- Here comes the little bit of this and a little bit of that! Stir the sauce, add a pinch of sugar, pinch of salt and a pinch of pepper. If you would like a little bit of kick to your sauce you can add a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes.
- Cook the sauce on low/medium while you make your pasta. Once your pasta is done, add to the pan, mix everything together and add the cheese.
- And there you have it! Buon appetito!